Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Gen 4 iPod IDE hard drive to CompactFlash conversion

My old Click-Wheel iPod hard drive finally died. Clickety-click-click-click was the sound. Sometimes the music would play okay, other times it would choke and stall until the failing hard drive finally managed to get a few more kilobytes of data read. Either way, it was bad and getting worse.

What to do? Trying to avoid the throw-away engineering that was built into it, I thought, I will replace the hard drive! And indeed, I could have -- there are excellent tutorials and guides on the net, like this one at Command-Tab. But, as I have an old iPod, the parts are not exactly commodity-priced anymore, and it was going to end up costing almost $100. (Planned obsolescense lives!)

Why not spend slightly less money and convert the iPod to flash memory? There are intrepid geeks who have gone this way ahead of me, laboriously soldering an IDE to CF connector. And another one here.
But I wasn't that committed.  But then on Ebay I found this character in Hong Kong, who sold me the same connector for 99 cents, and delivered for $5 shipping, fast!




Cheap flash memory bought somewhere, don't remember where.

Here is it is just before sealing it up. Notice the business-mail-reply card that I folded up and tucked in there to shim the new memory -- it being a little thinner than the hard drive it replaces.


An overview.
It works great again!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment: